Our Journey So far
Uphall Primary is currently working on a creative approach to include families and the wider community in our pupils' learning.
What were we already doing
- Parent consultations
What are we doing now?
- More opportunities for parents to be included in decision making
- Involving new and different people in a variety of different ways to enrich pupils learning experiences, leading to improved outcomes from all pupils.
- An Action Together Partnership (ATP) group was formed comprising parents, staff, pupils and community member.
Focus areas for the ATP
- To enhance communication: to make sure that effective forms of school-home and home-school communications are in place.
- Volunteering: families and others to support pupils attainment and ensure equity.
- Learning at Home: shape future learning opportunities and provide information on how to help pupils with home learning activities, and future goals.
- Develop parents as leaders and representatives within the school.
- Collaborating with the community: Use resources and services from the community for families and children and reciprocate.
Parents identified four areas for improvement:
- Transition: Conversation Cafes for Primary 1 parents to discuss their experiences of transition. This led to a new Transition Policy.
- Homework: Friday morning drop-in for parents; homework survey for parents. These led to a new Homework Policy.
- School environment: Mystery Shopper visit with a critical eye; the subsequent report's findings are being actioned.
- Parental engagement strategy: Food for Thought (link with a local hotel); Real Junk Food Project banquet; foodbank links; fuzzbank/school clothing bank; MoneySense Workshops. The Headteacher is now a signatory for foodbank vouchers. There is now a raised awareness of family circumstances which may affect children's learning.
- Reporting to parents: we are looking to change the emphasis from a culture of staff 'reporting to parents' to one of 'learning from each other'.
- Improvement Planning: to consult with parents sooner and include their input in the final draft.