Do we need a food hygiene certificate for a barbecue?


We’re holding a barbecue at our school summer fair and the headteacher is saying we need a Food Hygiene Certificate.  Is this true?


If you are cooking food on school premises or in the grounds (such as a barbeque), you do not need a Food Hygiene Certificate for your Connect membership-linked insurance to be valid, although of course you should follow best practice in preparing and cooking food. 

However, the local authority can require you to have one as a condition of the school let if, for instance, you are using the school kitchen, so you’ll need to check the conditions of the let.

Useful leaflet: Some Golden Rules of Catering for Parent Councils and PTAs.